Local Ocean Seafood, Newport Oregon
Rain or shine I love coming to Local Ocean Seafood located at the eastern end of Newport’s Historic Bayfront.
When the sun is shining bright, the downstairs walls open to sidewalk dining at it’s best. When the weather is cool and wet, there’s nowhere better than being warm and dry upstairs where wrap-around windows overlook the Newport harbor.
A TripAdvisor review called it a “Can’t Miss Opportunity” and I’d have to heartily agree with them. Fresh and delicious local seafood, friendly service, and views of the bay.
Local Ocean Seafood is one of the most recommended restaurants by hotels in the area so if you go don’t be surprised if there’s a line to get a table. You can call to make reservations or book online. See below for more details on how to do that.
Central Oregon Seasonal Specials:
- Dungeness crab – December 1st to August 15th
- Albacore tuna – generally late June to late September
- Pink shrimp – April to October
- Lingcod – year round
The Local Ocean Story.
Local Ocean has been a community staple since 2005 and in that time has become a premier destination for seafood on the central Oregon Coast.
Owner, Laura Anderson, is from a multigenerational fishing family, and an experienced deckhand. Raised on eating salmon and lingcod for dinner, it was not until her college years at Oregon State University that she realized some of the most valuable natural capital on the planet is right outside our front door. People the world-over demand Oregon’s wild seafood for its superior quality and flavor. Every dish we create features sustainably caught seafood, which helps to ensure the long-term health of our oceans and local fishing industry.
The people who make Local Ocean possible have a deep sense of pride in every dish we serve. There is an unbroken chain of respect and careful attention, from the local fishermen of the Newport fleet, to our fish buyer Amber Morris, to Chef Enrique Sanchez and his kitchen crew, to your server. You can taste the quality and care that goes into each bite. The fish connects us. The wonder of Oregon’s ocean bounty and our aspiration to give people the best seafood experience of their lives has proven to be a powerful force. People line up to eat fresh, local fish.
Don’t want to stay and eat. Grab some of the local catch from their fish market on the lower level. It features locally sourced seafood straight off the local fishing boats. They work with more than 50 local fishermen to supply the market and restaurant.
213 SE Bay Blvd, Newport, OR 97365
Winter Hours (November-May):
Fish Market: 10am – 8pm
Restaurant: 11am – 8pm (8:30 Fri & Sat)
Summer Hours (June-October):
Fish Market: 10am – 9pm
Restaurant: 11am – 9pm (9:30 Fri & Sat)
For reservations call 541-574-7959 or book online with OpenTable.
From their website:
We offer 20% of our total seats for reservations, up to 180 days in advance. However, the majority of our seating is walk-in customers, so if you can’t make a reservation for the time you like, please come anyway. For parties of 8 or larger, please contact the restaurant directly at 541-574-7959 to book, and read our reservations policy:
- We do not guarantee seating in a specific location in the restaurant (examples: window, upstairs, outside, counter). However, we will do our best to accommodate your stated preference.
- Large party reservations (8 or more) must be made by calling the restaurant and booking through a manager, at 541-574-7959. Due to space limitations, during peak season and holidays large parties will likely be seated among multiple tables
- Large party reservations may require a credit card deposit. Failure to cancel with 24 hours’ notice or not have whole party present may result in $20 per person charge to the credit card on file. After 10 minutes of the reservation time, the table will be released and a no-show fee will be charged to the credit card on file
- Reservations cannot be made more than 6 months in advance.